Fire Damage Emergency Tips

What you can do until help arrives

Water Tips  |  Fire Tips   |  Biohazard Tips   |  Mold Tips

It is surprising how quickly a fire can start in your house, which is why it is necessary to take steps to keep your home out of the flames.

Here is some advice from the fire restoration experts here in San Antonio. 

  • Kitchen Fires. These fires usually involve grease or oil, which can easily harm you and damage your home. Instead of trying to put out the fire yourself with water, which may make the flames worse, cover them with a lid or a sheet pan before calling the fire department.
  • Space Heaters. Be mindful of where you place these portable heating devices. Keep them off of carpets and keep them at least three feet away from flammable items. Never leave them on when you leave the home.
  • Electrical Fires. Make sure to regularly check for faulty wires, old wires and overloaded circuits. Especially check the wiring of electric heaters, stoves, ovens and microwaves.
  • Candles and Open Flame. This includes candles, incense and fireplaces. Make sure to keep your fireplace clean and the flue open. Use a metal mesh screen to keep sparks from landing on flammable material. Never leave the home while any candles or flammable items are lit.

Our fire damage restoration professionals can restore your home, leaving it clean, odor-free and, most importantly, safe. We will also remove all water that flooded the home when the flames were extinguished.

Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (210) 348-2911

What To Do After A Fire

  • Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
  • Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
  • Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
  • If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
  • Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
  • Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
  • Change HVAC filter.
  • Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.

What NOT To Do After A Fire

  • Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
  • Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
  • Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
  • Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
  • Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.

Visit our updated page